Download and install the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK)
This is part 1 of a 6 part series that will give you information on capturing and deploying images using ImageX. The focus of WAIK is with Windows Vista, but it can be used to capture and deploy other operating systems.
WAIK includes the tools needed to create a bootable disk (CD or USB). You can boot to a WinPE OS and then use ImageX to capture an image. You can then deploy the image to another system
- Part 1 Download and Install Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK)
- Part 2 Prepare the Windows PE Folders
- Part 3 Prepare a Bootable CD
- Part 4 Prepare a Bootable USB (optional)
- Part 5 Run Sysprep and Capture an Image using ImageX
- Part 6 Deploy an Image using ImageX
- Locate the Windows Vista Automated Installation Kit download page. Click here or if it moved, enter “Download Vista Windows Automated Installation Kit” to locate the current location.
- Download the following image file:
- Burn the .img file to a DVD. If you don't have an image creation tool, check out ImgBurn. Its a free download and worth a donation.
- Place the DVD into your DVD drive on a Vista system and launch it. If Autoplay doesn’t run automatically, right click the drive in Windows Explorer and select Open AutoPlay. On the AutoPlay dialog box, select Run StartCD.exe.
- Click on the Windows AIK Setup link in the menu on the left. The Windows Installer will launch.
Note: The Windows AIK requires the .NET Framework 2.0 and MSXML 6.0 to be installed. If you don’t have it, the program will exit. You can install both from the Windows Automated Installation Page. You can then restart the Windows AIK Setup.
- On the Welcome to the Windows Automated Installation Kit Setup Wizard screen, click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, review the license agreement, select I Agree, and click Next.
- On the Select Installation Folder page, accept the default installation folder of C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\. To allow this to be available for anyone that logs onto your system, accept the default choice of Everyone. Click Next.
- On the Confirm Installation page, click Next. The WAIK will install.
- On the Installation Complete page, click Close.
You have installed the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK). The next step is to create the folders used to create a bootable WinPE image.
Part 1 Download and Install Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK)
Part 2 Prepare the Windows PE Folders
Part 3 Prepare a Bootable CD
Part 4 Prepare a Bootable USB (optional)
Part 5 Run Sysprep and Capture an Image using ImageX
Part 6 Deploy an Image using ImageX
This information is valuable when preparing for the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician exams.